Hokkaido Wilds—a new Ski Touring ResourceStrongly recommend checking out this new site and resource if you are considering a tour in Japan's powder-blessed Hokkaido region. Found at hokkaidowilds.org, the site features in-depth info on Ski Touring, Bike Touring and Hiking.
Considering a hut stay? The info is there. Day tours? The info is there. The site, which appears to be completely free, is the brainchild of Rob Thomson—a New Zealander who has lived (and skied, biked and hiked) in Japan for 12 years. The site claims to be "Japan’s first, fully filterable and searchable database of ski touring routes offered in English." If you've ever poked around looking for intel on this region in the past, pickings were slim—until now.
Just a few of the features:
- Location-based search (find routes near you).
- Route guide plus photos.
- GPX and KML route files.
- Printable PDF topographical maps and official topo map references.
- Trailhead locations including public transport information.
- Hokkaido mountain hut information
- Onsen hotsprings nearby each trailhead.